Adrian Otterman is a Martindale-Hubble AV-Rated attorney, practicing in the fields of Estate Planning, Estate Settlement, Guardianships, and related litigation. He also serves as an Executor, Administrator, Financial Guardian and Trustee.
Adrian is a ninth generation Vermonter and a fourth generation attorney. He graduated with honors from Websterville Christian Academy in 1992 and attended Villanova University, where he performed with and eventually led "Whiskey Company", a nationally renowned silent drill team. During his four years at Villanova, Whiskey Company was unbeaten. Adrian was also named a member of "Who's Who of American College Students". After receiving a B.A. in Political Science in 1996, Adrian was commissioned as a 2nd Lt. in the U.S. Marine Corps. Following Basic Infantry School and Naval Intelligence School, he was designated an Aviation Intelligence Officer, in which field he attained the rank of Captain and earned the Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal.
Following his service in the Marine Corps, Adrian received his J.D. at Vermont Law School. He was admitted to the Vermont Bar in 2003 and the Federal District Court in 2005. During the 2004 and 2005 legislative sessions, Adrian served as an Assistant Clerk in the Vermont House of Representatives. He also served eleven years as Town Moderator in Orange, Vermont.
Adrian is married to the former Heidi Strasser of Sarleinsbach, Austria. Together, they have two children and one fantastic family band!
Representative Estate Planning:
- Wills, Powers of Attorney, Advance Directives, Deeds.
- The formation of Family Limited Partnerships and Limited Liability Companies.
- The Preparation of Generation Skipping Transfer Trusts, Revocable and Testamentary Trusts and Special Needs Trusts.
- The creation of Non-Profit Corporations and Scholarship Trusts with associated 501(c)(3) Status.
- The creation of Private Foundations.
- The creation of Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts.
- Will Challenges / Trustee Removal / Guardianship Accountings / Modification of Trust Terms / Trust Administration.
Sample Fiduciary Service:
Adrian serves in multiple fiduciary roles such as Executor, Special Administrator, Financial Guardian, and Trustee.
Sample Probate Litigation:
- Successfully removing and surcharging a negligent Executor (appeal to Superior Court). In Re Brown Estate.
- Successfully defending an estate from Medicaid recovery, even when the property did not pass to lineal heirs. In Re Straw Estate.
- Successfully forcing a Trustee to increase trust distributions for the benefit of his stepmother. In Re Knapp Trust.
- Successfully defending Trustees from attempted removal by their Stepmother / Income beneficiary. In Re Giudici Trust.
- Successfully defending a ward against his financial guardian's attempt to assume full guardian's powers (appeal to Superior Court). In Re Botz.
- Successfully tracking down an Administrator who embezzled from an estate and assisting with recovery for beneficiaries. Austin Estate.
- Successfully negotiating a settlement between heirs of decedent and decedent's foreign "mail order" bride. In Re Aiken Estate.
- Successfully removing and surcharging an Administrator (appeal to Superior Court). In Re McLeod Estate.
- Successfully voiding an attempted transfer of real estate between Ward and Guardian. In Re Hill Guardianship.
- Successfully preventing the allowance of a Will obtained as a result of undue influence. In Re Hill Estate.
- Successfully obtaining equitable abatement between beneficiaries receiving cash and those receiving real estate. In Re Jarvis Estate.
Posted by a Private Practice Attorney: "An outstanding practitioner. I have dealt with Attorney Otterman for approximately 10 years and find him most competent, professional and collegial."
Posted by a Judge: "In the two years I have been sitting on the probate bench… I would rate Mr. Otterman in the top 3 attorneys who practice before me. He is a zealous advocate when necessary, he is able to spot, research, and communicate issues clearly and professionally, and he is exceptionally well prepared. Of equal import he is professionally generous accepting pro bono matters. The high quality of his work does not vary when undertaking pro bono representation."
Posted by a Private Practice Attorney: "I have the highest regard for Adrian. He is a capable, professional attorney to whom I refer clients for estate planning matters on a regular basis. His work ethic is outstanding and he is extremely knowledgeable and personable."
Posted by a Judge: "In addition to having outstanding legal capability, Adrian Otterman has the skills and temperament to negotiate extremely difficult familial relationships which often occur in the estate and trust arena."
Posted by a Judge: "I would not hesitate to recommend Adrian Otterman for any estate, probate or trust matter."
Posted by a Judge: "This lawyer is one of the best in this area of practice. He has experience, skill and judgement. I would hire him to represent myself above most other lawyers."
Posted by a Private Practice Attorney: "Adrian is an excellent lawyer. But more importantly, he is a truly honorable person."
Posted by a Private Practice Attorney: "Adrian Otterman provides legal services in probate and estate law with compassion and unquestioned integrity and professional expertise. He is highly regarded among his peers within the legal community and court system in the areas in which he practices."
Posted by a Private Practice Attorney: "Adrian Otterman is an excellent attorney who has had the unique experience to learn about the profession of law as a matter of family tradition. Solid family mentoring (his father and grandfather) instilled superior analysis and ethical skills which make him an excellent attorney."
Copyright © 2022 Otterman and Allen, P.C. - All Rights Reserved.